Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc.
The brand Allo is starting to come up a bit more on the Roon forum.

I'm tempted by the digiOne, a new, fairly inexpensive piHAT with spdif out. They also have a new USB bridge thing out but it needs their proprietary 'Sparky' board too (doesn't work on a Pi) and slightly more expensive (but still cheap compared to many of the latest and greatest).

Why, you may ask, since I'm waiting for the streamerboard and meanwhile I'm using AIR which finally works?

Well, the main issue isn't SQ but sync between my main hifi and kitchen, which is no longer solid as I'm not using two RAAT devices. Yes, as AIR is using CoreAudio you can group them both, and you can adjust latency in the RAAT zone to compensate for AURs buffer, but sadly it isn't consistent. It is off by a few ms each time you restart AIR or change sample rate. Both happen quite a lot and recently AIR has started just going silent every now and again and needing to be toggled on and off to get it back. The two factors combined are annoying enough to make me think about abandoning it.

I don't want to go back to a microrendu or other closed system, or spend loads of cash, (I still hold out hope for the streamerboard after all but who knows how long that might be) so the Allo seems tempting. Also there are lots of subjective comments here about non-USB inputs being better on the Dev in many circumstances, and I've often thought about trying that. I don't like the way the USB on the Devialet doesn't play nicely when the machine comes out of standby either so spdif may be a good way to go.

I've seen lots of measurements posted by the Allo guys (or guy?) and they certainly look good! This also gives me more confidence in the device over companies who make claims shrouded in secrecy with no data to back anything up (and sometimes it turns out no data has ever been taken even during development).

I've already got a PSU I could use so the whole package should be under about 150 quid.

I'm guessing no-one else here's tried one yet?  Or anything else from the brand?  Only heard pretty much praise apart from maybe setup complexity in some of their more 'unusual' combined DAC/re-clocker things.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc. - by Hifi_swlon - 25-Jun-2017, 14:09
RE: Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc. - by MIKE - 25-Jun-2017, 22:21
RE: Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc. - by MIKE - 26-Jun-2017, 08:41