Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ortofon Cartridge Experience tour
(08-Aug-2017, 22:32)Confused Wrote:
(08-Aug-2017, 22:12)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Confused, given that the cartridges have different outputs, (how) did they level the volume to make the comparison as equal as possible?

Apparently they did a trial run before the first public demos to check the appropriate volume on the Devialet for each cartridge.  Generally they appeared to get this spot on, but at one cartridge switch the volume did seam to drop slightly.  I have read about cable demos where the volume gets tweaked upwards slightly when the more expensive cable is used.  Taking that as the way to cheat a bit, the Ortofon demo did the reverse by dropping the volume with the more profitable cartridge.  In other words, it looked to me like they were genuinely trying to get everything right.

Yeah, I read about the cable demos. Dr AIX wrote a few pieces on it before he got a nice letter from (I think it was Nordost's) lawyers to stop doing so.

I wouldn't put Ortofon in that category at all. John Darko did a piece on the new Technics SL-1200G v Pioneer PLX-500. It was quite clear that there were differences between the TT's but in a follow up he used the same cartridge for both TT's and found the cartridge to be the dominant factor for the difference.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/0...500-again/
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ortofon Cartridge Experience tour - by Pim - 08-Aug-2017, 22:12
RE: Ortofon Cartridge Experience tour - by Pim - 08-Aug-2017, 23:21