Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom 5.5 / 7.7 Immersive Theatre System
Anyone had an audition of the 5.5 & 7.7 setup?  Would love to hear your review!

I was asking at the showroom and a sales person referred me to someone else and said the 5.5 would cost some USD $20-25k to setup.

I already had 2 Golds, tried many movies and am impressed specifically at the bass effects shifting left & right on top of the superb standard stereo experience.  So I was quite sold that a 5.5/7.7 setup would be awesome.  I'm renovation a new place and have been contemplating a KEF mixed Reference 5 + R-series 5.1.2 setup.

The system seems to use Xilica which takes in analogue signals from the source (maybe it be your receiver or BD player), transform it to digital signal, send it through ethernet and then converted back to digital signal before entering the Phantoms.  While this sounds inefficient doing A2D, D2A, then A2D again, I also wonder how much of a loss there could be.  I'm no sound engineer so I have no idea how well the Xilica and whatever the device that transform the last A2D work.

I feel that the KEF setup is safer and longer lasting because analogue speakers are not going to disappear.  With all the tech built-in, who knows if and when something new comes out the tech will get obsolete.  Maybe I'm thinking too much.

Would you consider the KEF setup vs this 5.5?  Love to hear some thoughts!

Chris

Messages In This Thread
Phantom 5.5 / 7.7 Immersive Theatre System - by cbleehk - 23-Aug-2017, 17:30