Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get the best Phono Signal?
I've been living with my Devialet amp for nearly a year and I love it. Bought second hand as an Expert 120, it is now upgraded to Expert 220 Pro.

I have an issue with Phono input. When the amp was a 120, I found that, with the limitations on settings for my Ortofon Kontra B M/C cartridge, the internal Phono stage was noisy with an unacceptable level of hiss which is understandable considering the low voltage output of the cartridge. Using my valve Phono stage, which included SUT's and then fed in as line stage produced a much quieter hiss free sound, albeit a little characteristically coloured courtesy of the valve Phono stage.

After upgrade to 220 Pro, with the ability to set the cartridge specs more accurately within Phono stage set up, I was hopeful that the sound would be much improved, but sadly although a little better, it is still generally hissy and again when my valve Phono stage is incorporated, this problem goes away.

Being relatively new to Devialet, I recall my friend (a member here) having similar problems when he first started using these amps several years ago. He found his low output M/C cartridge sounded best when a pair of SUT's were in the signal line. He has progressed rapidly and now uses mono blocked 1000 Pro's and has no noise problems with his low output cart plumbed directly into his Devialets.

Therefore, and apologies if this has been covered before I joined the forum, is my experience typical of having a noisy Phono stage when direct coupled from my M/C cartridge into the 220 Pro? 

Does the 1000 Pro have a much better and quieter Phono stage compared to the lower level models?

Would my best option be to remove the SUT's from my powered valve Phono stage (to avoid the sound colouration) and passively introduce them between cartridge and Devialet 220 Pro M/M stage input?

I am a DIYer, so this is an easy option for me. 

All advise gratefully received and many thanks in anticipation.

Messages In This Thread
How to get the best Phono Signal? - by Greg - 06-Sep-2017, 22:53