Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get the best Phono Signal?
‘Here’s an update. My 220 Pro is now also C/I upgraded.

I tried using just the SUT’s inline and passive and I got no reduction in hiss. The hiss was a pain in the arse and confirmed my view previously expressed that the Devialet phono stage is sub standard and not of a quality that matches its digital input capability. If I am wrong, and noting that some of you seem to be satisfied with your Devialet phono stage input, it begs the question, are all our amps equal? Do some of us have better performing kit/modules than others? Adjusting load and gain with the remote on the ‘fly’ made bugger all difference. Making adjustments in the configurator also brought no progress.

I have already said that a valve phonostage with line input was hiss free, albeit a littler coloured.

Just to remind you, my cartridge is an Ortofon Kontra B.

I am now using a Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk phonostage with my 220 C/I Pro and it brings total hiss free, on the fly adjustment, uncoloured very revealing sound, plugged into ‘line’. It is so good it has revived my love of vinyl and I’ve been spinning many more discs rather than listening to my streamed services.

For sure I am happy now, although a little frustrated that Devialet could not spend enough attention to detail to get this Phono aspect of the amps up to equivalent hi end standard, and of course, I’ve had to introduce an additional unit to my system when my overall objective was to minimalise as completely as possible.

Those of you that disagree with my findings are probably operating at a different listening level to me, or, as I have suggested, there is some inconsistency with the quality of products (in this case, the Phono stage) Devialet sell us.

Who knows?

Messages In This Thread
How to get the best Phono Signal? - by Greg - 06-Sep-2017, 22:53
RE: How to get the best Phono Signal? - by Greg - 16-Jan-2018, 01:18