Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get the best Phono Signal?
There are many variables I think, the main one being the phono stage gain as already mentioned, but speaker type / efficiency, the amplifier power and even the room will be factors. From my own experiments with the 1000Pro I needed the amp set 1 or 2 dB lower to get the same hiss level as the D800, but that is compensated by the fact that you would run the 1000Pro at 1 or 2dB less to get the same loudness as a D800. It also occurs to me that results could vary between different models of iPhone, even with the same app.

That said, I am actually very surprised at how similar the results are from myself @brit and @Axel. (Thanks for taking the time to try this!) We are all running MC cartridges with slightly different gain settings, but the results are almost identical.

What would be really interesting would be if someone with MC settings in the range of 0.3 to 0.5mV obtained significantly different results. There have been some claims of hiss free Devialet phono stage performance in the past, with MC settings.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
How to get the best Phono Signal? - by Greg - 06-Sep-2017, 22:53
RE: How to get the best Phono Signal? - by Confused - 20-Jan-2018, 11:49