Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get the best Phono Signal?
(20-Jan-2018, 12:34)KIBM Wrote:
(20-Jan-2018, 11:49)Confused Wrote: There are many variables I think, the main one being the phono stage gain as already mentioned, but speaker type / efficiency, the amplifier power and even the room will be factors.    From my own experiments with the 1000Pro I needed the amp set 1 or 2 dB lower to get the same hiss level as the D800, but that is compensated by the fact that you would run the 1000Pro at 1 or 2dB less to get the same loudness as a D800.  It also occurs to me that results could vary between different models of iPhone, even with the same app.

That said, I am actually very surprised at how similar the results are from myself @brit and @Axel.  (Thanks for taking the time to try this!)  We are all running MC cartridges with slightly different gain settings, but the results are almost identical.

What would be really interesting would be if someone with MC settings in the range of 0.3 to 0.5mV obtained significantly different results.  There have been some claims of hiss free Devialet phono stage performance in the past, with MC settings.

Hi Confused

It so happens that I was just doing this on a miserable rainy day in Portishead!

At the listening seat (~9 ft from speaker plane) I hear significant hiss from my Koetsu set to 0.35 mv.
My measurements are:

Dev Volume (dB)                 Sound Meter (dB) 

Off (i.e. room sound)                   17
-40                                            17-20
-20                                            20-22
-15                                            26-28
-10                                            29-32

My normal listening volume is around -15dB on the Dev. -10 would be very loud.

I am surprised at how low the readings are as I perceive the hiss at -15dB setting to be quite loud. However my dB meter indicates that it is 'rustling leaves/quiet library'........

It would seem that the human ear is tremendously sensitive to white noise.

The hiss does not bother me (I've had worse valve amps) and is inaudible when listening even between tracks.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Addendum!

Surprised at how low the room and hiss recorded, I downloaded the Decibel x app (on a Sony Xperia) that others have referred to for comparison:
New readings are (on a Sony Xperia): 

Dev Volume (dB)                 Sound Meter (dB) 

Off (i.e. room sound)                   46
-40                                            47.5
-20                                            48.5
-15                                            51
-10                                            55

Moral of the tale - one person would have to test everyone else system with the same sound meter to be constant - specially since dB scale is logarithmic!

K
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     

Messages In This Thread
How to get the best Phono Signal? - by Greg - 06-Sep-2017, 22:53
RE: How to get the best Phono Signal? - by KIBM - 20-Jan-2018, 13:00