Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get the best Phono Signal?
I don't have an iPhone, and the spl meter I use on android does not agree with my real spl meter, so I don't trust it, so I used my real meter.

Background noise with the system off in my room reads around 30db, a weighted, if I measure this with a mic I know most of this will be dominated by the low frequencies, the real background noise reading for the midrange will be much lower. When I turn up the volume I started to just be able to detect hiss at around -30, but it was around -15 before the spl meter started going up, so the real background noise in my room is around 15db lower than the spl meter reads it, this is to be expected, and explains why it's so audible.

I had to turn the vol up to +9 to get 50db in room, that sounds different but I think it's in line once loading, speaker efficiency and amp power is accounted for.

Although the hiss to me is clearly audible, and is slightly higher than I have had with external stages into the devialet, the hiss largely gets lost once the stylus is in the groove, and the devialet stage sounds so much more accurate than any other phono stage I've heard I find it's still by far the best stage I've used.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution

Messages In This Thread
How to get the best Phono Signal? - by Greg - 06-Sep-2017, 22:53
RE: How to get the best Phono Signal? - by Soniclife - 20-Jan-2018, 13:00