Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get the best Phono Signal?
(07-Sep-2019, 16:56)watchnerd Wrote:
(16-Jan-2018, 01:18)Greg Wrote: ‘Here’s an update. My 220 Pro is now also C/I upgraded.

I tried using just the SUT’s inline and passive and I got no reduction in hiss. 

Given that SUTs often offer >20dB of gain, this seems very puzzling and almost electrically impossible for there to be no reduction in hiss given the gain, if configured optimally.

How did you configure the input on the Devialet into which you plugged the SUT?

The SUT (step up transformer) is a passive device which provides a voltage step up at the primary to secondary winding ratio of the transformer. Therefore the transformer does not add any electrical noise.

Put simply the low voltage high current in the primary winding is traded for a higher voltage and lower current in the secondary. Under these conditions it follows that the secondary of the transformer must be loaded by a high impedance.

When using a step up transformer into the Devialet the phono stage is set up with a high impedance load and lower gain as for a moving magnet cartridge at 47K ohms. The hiss is much reduced as the gain of the phono stage is much lower when set as a moving magnet input.

This is how I use the phono stage in my Devialet. I use a Koetsu Black Goldline MC cartridge into Lundahl LL1933 step up transformers at a ratio of 1:8. The hiss is inaudible at the listening position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus

Messages In This Thread
How to get the best Phono Signal? - by Greg - 06-Sep-2017, 22:53
How to get the best Phono Signal? - by disarmamant - 08-Sep-2019, 11:18