Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AirPlay / Apple TV connection to Devialet Expert
Just thought I would post some potential solutions in case someone else wanted to get Apple TV to play via their Devialet Expert since Apple TV 4th generation onwards does not have optical out.  One existing solution has been posted here: daisy chain to an older 3rd generation Apple TV

Ideally the functionality would be integrated into the new Devialet OS board (if you can have the upgrade), but in case this isn't available the MartinLogan Unison is an interesting compact pre-amp and it does DTS Play-Fi and AirPlay.  Unfortunately USA only, circa $400.   It will also wake the Devialet as it has a trigger out.

Alternatively I guess you could go for a HDMi out optical splitter - but as I understand it, no volume control or trigger from Apple TV so you'd have to have two remote controls.  There is also the solution of apple airport express - but same issue.

I am also unsure about the sound quality of toslink, given the relatively poor results I've had (from computer and TV) - USB and ethernet via Devialet air sounded better to me.

Another option would be another AV receiver, as per Devialets own guidance on AV setups, but I don't really want another large box!

Any idea how good HDMI via an external receiver would sound?

Messages In This Thread
AirPlay / Apple TV connection to Devialet Expert - by stretchneck - 28-Sep-2017, 12:24