Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ingrid Fliter - Chopin Preludes (Linn Records)
That's a very imaginative description; have you ever thought of a career in literature?  But it definitely sounds as though you're hearing what I heard.  Once you pick it up, it's very hard to "un hear", as you said.  At least after Linn's reply you can rest assured that it's not a problem with your system or hearing.  Once again, thanks very much for taking the time to try this out.

Your point about the way the brain works is well made; it fascinates me too.  Mrs thumb5 and I had a holiday in Vienna a couple of years ago, where there's a very good museum of music.  Apart from lots of stuff about their orchestra and opera, and (great) descriptions of how musical instruments work, there was a really interesting section showing some interactive "aural illusions".  (As an aside, I'm not sure why we're not more familiar with that term, optical illusions being so widespread.)  These were truly astonishing and illustrated very well how much of what we hear is "made up" to match what we subconsciously expect.  It's a long way to go just for the museum, but I can recommend it if you ever happen to be in Vienna.

Funnily enough I'm back on piano music again after having "gone off it" a bit for the last few weeks: I'm listening to a lovely piano concerto by Rautavaara at the moment.  (Might switch to something heavier a bit later when I have the living room to myself.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ingrid Fliter - Chopin Preludes (Linn Records) - by thumb5 - 12-Nov-2017, 10:14