Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auditioned the 803 D3 - surprising outcome
Good Evening Everyone,

Today, I auditioned the BW 803 D3 at my local dealer. With a rather surprising outcome. Please allow me to share my humble experience.

I called my dealer 2 weeks ago to book a session with the BW 803 D3 and the 220 Pro which I own myself. Everything was setup when I got there, even the SAM profile was loaded which I very much appreciated. SAM was always at 100%. I brought a USB stick loaded with my music and a good amount of CDs with more or less the same music, just in case. I always wanted to try those BW speakers with the 220 Pro, particularly because Devialet seems to have a favor for BW during demos and due to all the great reviews I have read.

The music I listen to is groovy, funky and electric. Funk, hip-hop, jazz, electronic, drum&bass, pop and some alternative rock, trying to use the genres to describe my kind of sound. Classic music takes a very tiny part in my collection. I think I started with some songs from Macy Grey’s album Stripped, went on with James Brown and songs from Les McCann’s Talkin’ Verve album, on to Toy from Yelo, Pepe Deluxe and Hello Nasty from the B.Boys.

I always have the impression that my system at home sounds a bit too bright for my ears. The treble is at -2 on my Dev at home. I felt the same today and changed the treble to -1.5 today. Even in my cars I tend to lower the treble. Must be my ears, I’ll take it as a compliment for having unspoiled ears ?

Macy sounded fantastic, a great recording, also confirmed by my dealer. Pure acoustic and unplugged. Fantastic open stage, representing all the details of the instruments, especially the string bass on the right and Macy’s voice always gives me goose bumps. For the funky parts I was missing the groove a bit, not dirty enough, a too perfect reproduction. I hope my words give you an idea.

Well, now here we get to the surprise. I loaded the latest Fünf Sterne Deluxe album. Track 3 is loaded with ridiculous bass which is shaking the windows and your midriff. Not serious, but fun sound, simply entertaining. It didn’t do anything right here. Nothing. Not at all. The BW just didn’t play it. Almost like the 803 D3 thought, no, this is not appropriate music, we are not going to play this. We are not built for this, we are too noble, this is not classic music, better get a sub for this kind of boooom. Missing the bass only happened with this song “Moin Boom Tschack”. I was like really, what’s happening, or rather not?

I switched the discs, trying to find the right music to enjoy this session, trying to find the speaker’s and my sweet spot of today. But, and I hate the ‘but’ here, it too much reminded me of what I have at home. Always bit too clear, too many highs, stressing my ear drums. OK, it’s not exactly like that, but you get the idea. So I asked to switch the 220 pro with a McIntosh MA8900 they have in the shop.

Quick background story. I had an MA5200 at home while the 120 was back in France to replace the chassis where the chrome plating went off and I very much enjoyed its sound. The MA8900 is a monster and the sound is different compared to a Devialet. They even and finally replaced that cheap 5-dollar piece of plastic which they call a remote with something really nice. Still, nothing comes close to the Devialet remote which is a piece of art. If there is another amp for me it would be a McIntosh. I think it is a totally different thing compared to the Devs. A V8 big block vs. a modern hybrid super car. Once more, I tried the booom song with this setup with the same result. Where is bass, damn it? These BWs simply don’t seem to be my cup of tea. I felt really sorry, and happy. Please don’t get me wrong here, this is a fantastic combo, it is just not my cup of tea.

Today’s personal conclusion: I don’t need to spend 16K for a set of speakers. My dealer is great! The MA8900 is super tempting, although I prefer this subtle piece of hardware the 220 Pro is. Now waiting for what the new board will bring for us. From a price point of view, both amps play pretty much in the same league. Being so fortunate for already having a pretty decent system, it is a lot of fun to test and experience different equipment which follow different technical solutions. Blessed!

I’ll be patient and I’ll stay curious and openminded.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the music,
Ralf
Bauer LS 3.0 - Ortofon 7.8N SPK - Octave RE320 - 220 Pro - DH Labs D-110 - Mutec MC-3+ USB - ROON ROCK NUC - Sbooster MKII - Technics 1200 MK2 w/ Quintet Blue

Messages In This Thread
Auditioned the 803 D3 - surprising outcome - by G-Vialet - 23-Oct-2017, 21:59