Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And already a SAM related problem...
(07-Nov-2017, 21:25)invictus005 Wrote: With SAM off, everything is fine on any playback method. With SAM on, I get clear, fairly loud, thumping noise in the system as it limits woofer excursion. It's especially audible during vinyl playback (I have a Michell Gyro SE turntable on Sound Anchors rack). And this is not even at loud volumes, just moderate listening. While playing vinyl it pretty much thumps every second or two throughout the entire record including the lead-in/out grooves. It does not do it if set to RIAA 1976, but it's loud and clear if set to RIAA 1953 or while using an external phono preamp.

It's not as audible during digital playback, but it's audibly there. However, if I go to YouTube and play a 20Hz tone, it starts thumping trying to limit the excursion starting at medium playback volume. You can visually see the cones move less during the audible thump. 

I would think that SAM's operation in limiting woofer excursion should be a little less audible and more seamless. I'm using Bowers & Wilkins speakers with correct SAM profile. 

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? If this is normal, then SAM (even though it sounds amazing) is pretty much useless.
Hi had the same issue using Sam with my PMC speakers i could hear the occasional thump. I thought it was on the recording but it seems to be an issue with Sam.

Messages In This Thread
RE: And already a SAM related problem... - by Moonsim70 - 09-Sep-2018, 22:40