Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convolver in the DSP
Hi, first post on this forum. I salute the people behind this initiative!

I've corresponded via email with Devialet on the subject of digital room correction. I also sent sample filters to them in November 2011 (Manuel de la Fuente) for developers to test. I purchased my D-Premier in January 2012 partly based on the feedback I received from Quentin Sannié and Manuel de la Fuente

The first response from Devialet on the subject is from May 24 2011

"It is possible to load a room or a speaker correction in the DSP. We will provide the first DSP tool in a few weeks in the Configurator.
I hope this can help you.
Best regards,
Quentin

Quentin SANNIÉ"

The next response from Devialet on the topic was this from August 6 2011:

"Regarding speaker or room correction options in the DSP, we finally decided not to include it in this version of the configurator, both because we needed more time and because it is risky option to put in everybody's hands.
Nevertheless, we can provide some "on demand" configuration offering active cross-over, or some DSP corrections. If you are interested to try this, please give us precise information about your filtering requirements. If they are compatible with the current structure of the DSP, we can make them for you.
I hope this helps.
Sincerely yours,

Manuel de la Fuente"

Here is a snip from September 5 2012

"I do NOT know yet when the room correction will be available. All I know is that it will come.

Best regards,

Thierry"

And the latest response regarding DRC from Thierry dated March 7 2014:

"We have at this point no fixed plan to introduce room correction in our products. We are working at the moment on other topics that you will discover in the months to come.

Best regards,

Thierry"

So in spite of what Devialet had planned back in 2011/12 they now seem to have abandoned the idea of an internal convolver in the DSP for use with third-party filters from for example Audiolense or Acourate. This is really bad news for those of us that use DRC to improve playback quality. I was looking forward to using all sources with DRC filters running in the amp. I have postponed my return to vinyl waiting for this.

I think it is easy for Devialet to enable a convolver function in the new DSP. Actually it is probably there already as I believe SAM is done this way. SAM is no doubt an exellent feature and I look forward to use it with the LS50 speakers I have on order, but it only corrects the speaker and speaker/amp interface and not the equally important speaker/room interaction.
I do understand Devialets worry that people will use inadequately designed filters and thus create bad results and reputation for Devialet. For a user like myself with many years of experience using DRC I would suggest to Devialet they find a way to support select users with a convolver function in the internal DSP. If the filter format needs to be specific I am certain the clever guys behind the above mentioned Audiolense and Acourate will include a "Save for use with Devialet..." in their programs based on filter specification from Devialet.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB

Messages In This Thread
Convolver in the DSP - by ogs - 03-Jun-2014, 13:47
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by Nightmare - 04-Jun-2014, 11:13
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by Borgen - 09-Jul-2014, 08:46
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by f1eng - 09-Jul-2014, 18:42
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by ogs - 09-Jul-2014, 20:45
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by ogs - 28-Jul-2014, 18:43
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by Divasson - 31-Jul-2014, 22:07
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by ogs - 31-Jul-2014, 22:23
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by markush - 24-Mar-2015, 16:08
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by ogs - 24-Mar-2015, 16:31