Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going active with a 2 way speaker (Naim SBL's)
(25-Nov-2017, 18:01)pisabell Wrote: Hello all,

Now reporting on my experiment. In a word: a huge success!

What I did exactly:

- configured the high and low-pass filters exactly as suggested by Waiski (high at 2.07 Kz and low at 3.53 Kz); 3rd order slope in both cases.

- as suggested by Pim and watchnerd it prroved necessary to reduce the level of the Tweeter. After extensive listening I settled for -7db.

The result is quite amazing, not subtle at all! I can hear loads more detail and there is now a much greater sense of immediacy and presence, as if a thick veil had been removed. If don't feel any integration problem between the mid/bass and the tweeter. Thus the cutoff frequencies suggeted by Waiski must be pretty much right on target.

This result leads me to wonder whether the use of any passive crossover will ever make sense again for me. I had been thinking about the possibility of acquiring Focal speakers because of all the good things I heard about them. But now I am wondering how good can their passive crossover can really be, and whether or not it is possible to drive them in active mode?

Thus the results of my experiment are leading me to a complete reassessment of my priorities.

Huge thanks to the Devialet for the flexibility they built into their equipment, thereby making such experiments possible! And huge thanks to all of you for helping me through it!

Pierre

That's great to hear!

Now if only Devialet would add a band-pass filter option, to allow 3-way / sub-based systems. Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Going active with a 2 way speaker (Naim SBL's) - by watchnerd - 25-Nov-2017, 18:37