Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standalone music server vs Mac mini
(19-Nov-2017, 18:22)samsoum Wrote:
(19-Nov-2017, 17:15)Spindrift Wrote: As an AES user - I would observe that some folks do notice a difference on SQ between the USB and the AES inputs hence all the effort that goes into a reclocked signal. 

From my standpoint I have found that the Devialet Ethernet through Roon (upsampled to 24/192 through Roon) direct, sounds great but I found the AES input reclocked via a mutec usb and reference 10 clock upsampled through HQ player to 24/192 to give more space around instruments and high frequency detail (sound of the hall etc). 

But it is a lot additional components for a moderate increase in SQ - doing it all over again - I might have never moved away from using the Ethernet input if I hadn’t already committed to an AES signal chain . . .

Thks for your honesty!
I agree , ROON/AIR  eth is sounding damm good in my system.
Set up is so clean and minimalist i love it.
I m trying since 2 weeks to feed the usb input of my dev200 with audioquest diamond usb, there s may be ( not 100%sure) slight improve in lower notes control but overal is very similar.
My next step while waiting impressions on core infinity sq, is trying audioquest ethernet cables vodka and diamond.
Thks

Macbook pro -Air-Roon/-tidal-Devialet200 /frw 10.1.0-power cord burmester: vde reg nr9990
Power conditionner:isotek evo3+isotek sequel pc
Spkr cables: acoustic zen satori
Speakers:wilson audio sabrina

Minimalist and great sounding is the key!

The more I fiddle with the signal chain the more I think that “less is more”

The benefit of additional components in the chain (which on their own may be great) can be offset by the noise/distortion from the additional power supplies, cables etc. . After all the design of the “magic wire dac” in the Devialet itself, benefits from minimizing the length of the signal chain. 

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the different ethernet cables…
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60

Messages In This Thread
RE: Standalone music server vs Mac mini - by Spindrift - 19-Nov-2017, 19:49