Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dialog vs. Airport
(17-Jan-2018, 16:54)meeotch Wrote: @angenet - the Dialog is literally five feet from the Phantom with the optical input. The other one is ~20 feet away, line-of-sight. And mine is the only network physically located in the building. Believe me, there's nothing pathological about my environment. If these devices are meant to operate in an urban setting at all, mine is a relatively unchallenging one.

@streamy - that's an interesting device. But I'd like to keep this thread focused on the topic of how the Phantom / Dialog Wifi functionality works (or doesn't). Specifically, whether Devialet's own people are giving me advice that doesn't apply to my configuration.

@Jamington2004 - Your comment directly addresses the point I'm trying to clarify: "the dialog network relies on a very steady uninterrupted network feeding it" The dedicated networks that the Dialog itself sets up are, in fact, fenced-off networks with no other traffic except for Dialog->Phantom communication. And since I'm using the optical input, not using Spark, and not streaming audio to the Dialog, there is no Devialet-specific traffic on my home network. The two are completely separate. In other words, my assertion is that the Phantoms never connect to any Wifi except the dedicated Dialog-initiated networks.

Adding an Airport, if the above theory is correct, should have no effect, because there will be no Devialet-specific traffic on the Airport's network. It replaces my home network in this equation, it doesn't replace the Dialog-initiated networks. Again, this should be testable by turning off *all* networking gear except the Dialog - the system will continue to function.

Hypothetically, an Airport might make the situation worse, as I'd be using more of the available channels for non-Phantom traffic and "squeezing" the Dialog-initiated network into the remaining space. Anyway, the Airport has arrived from Devialet, so I can test my assertion this weekend.

Wow, you and me are in the exact same situation. I have been e-mailing back and forth with devialet support for almost a year now about this.
Wiring the Phantoms is not an option as they are all wall mounted. I have 7 phantoms, and I have constant drop outs, often missing one of the stereo speakers, general dropouts, PLC/5GHz wifi back and forth etc. I have also concluded that the Phantoms use their internal wifi, as I don´t see any of my Phantoms on my Orbi router when they are shown as 5GHz. I suspect my own WIFI would easily be able to give them all the bandwidth and stability they needed to play smooth. But as you say, there is no option. Been asking Devialet support for user options with regards to this without success.

Knowing that I have 7 Phantoms in 4 different rooms wall-mounted with Gecko, Devialet Support actually suggest that I move all my Phantoms and Dialog to the same powerbar to solve my issue.... It´s unbelievable.

Messages In This Thread
Dialog vs. Airport - by meeotch - 09-Jan-2018, 23:35
RE: Dialog vs. Airport - by angenet - 10-Jan-2018, 00:28
RE: Dialog vs. Airport - by meeotch - 10-Jan-2018, 02:27
RE: Dialog vs. Airport - by streamy - 10-Jan-2018, 05:09
RE: Dialog vs. Airport - by angenet - 10-Jan-2018, 06:02
RE: Dialog vs. Airport - by meeotch - 10-Jan-2018, 05:34
RE: Dialog vs. Airport - by streamy - 10-Jan-2018, 20:03
RE: Dialog vs. Airport - by meeotch - 10-Jan-2018, 06:31
RE: Dialog vs. Airport - by Jamington2004 - 10-Jan-2018, 16:03
RE: Dialog vs. Airport - by meeotch - 17-Jan-2018, 16:54
RE: Dialog vs. Airport - by hydr - 19-Jan-2018, 15:08