Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amarra vs. ROON
Hi Folks

I got bored last weekend and decided to give a couple of players another go.
I had previously tried Amarra and Audirvana a few years ago but had no end of trouble integrating them into Air.

Now that CI has rendered Air ultra stable (in my system) I thought I'd give them another go.

My reference is ROON with Devialet Air and Tidal (I find the Air embedded ROON a smidge brighter and a tad bass light by comparison - luv the volume control  though...).

Audirvana+/Air
I feel this is the most detailed player I have tried but still find it a tad clinical/precise. In my system it does not seem to let the deep bass develop as much as ROON/Air. iPad Remote is ok but it ain't ROON.

Amarra 4 Luxe
This was always a pain with Air and so I never really got to know it in the past. The new player was a real surprise. By far the 'biggest' sounding player I've tried- width and depth. The layering is definitely better that the others - very 3D with micro-detail and reverb very obvious on even familiar tracks. It has great bass, not in your face but goes very deep and again pops up in familiar tracks. I could describe it as ever so slightly warm overall but that does not really do it justice as it rocks like a mother and has shimmering detail. It has great timing I think. For example, try 'Dare' by Gorrilaz - massive slabs of deep bass, fantastic driving rhythm and detail front, back and sides in a 'bigger than the room' experience (don't let Shaun Ryder get in your head!). So I don't think it is warm - maybe 'musically coloured' is a better way to describe it. When I go back to ROON/Air it sounds as great as ever but just a bit flatter and cooler by comparison to Amarra.

So, the best and most musical digital experience I've had in my room.

Downside....... the Amarra iPad remote works, but is buggy, a bit clunky and freezes when screen goes to sleep.

Trouble is that after ROON every remote/interface is pants!

Anyway, Amarra 4 Luxe is free for a 14 day trial - you've nothing to lose. 

Regards

Kevin
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     

Messages In This Thread
Amarra vs. ROON - by KIBM - 04-Feb-2018, 19:02
RE: Amarra and Air/CI - by ogs - 04-Feb-2018, 19:26
RE: Amarra and Air/CI - by KIBM - 04-Feb-2018, 19:53
RE: Amarra vs. ROON - by KIBM - 06-Feb-2018, 11:40
RE: Amarra vs. ROON - by petrik - 06-Feb-2018, 12:21
RE: Amarra vs. ROON - by maxijazz - 06-Feb-2018, 20:00
RE: Amarra vs. ROON - by KIBM - 21-Feb-2018, 14:26
Amarra vs. ROON - by samsoum - 21-Feb-2018, 18:49
RE: Amarra vs. ROON - by Alve - 13-Mar-2018, 15:04
RE: Amarra vs. ROON - by KIBM - 14-Mar-2018, 11:52