Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McIntosh MA9000 vs Devialet D-Premier by Jeff Fritz
I've have a slightly different take on this.  I had a McIntosh MC152, D150, and MCT80 driving a pair of T+A Criterion TB160 speakers.  While I was happy with the sound, I was always looking to improve upon the sound.

When I had to move some furniture around, decided to try my Devialet 400 with the T+A speakers.  As soon as 
I did this, I knew I had to get another Devialet, and sell the Mac gear.  Every aspect of sound reproduction improved.  The most noticeable improvements are outlined as follows:

1) Improved Dynamics
2) A more open and wider/deeper soundstage
3) Bass is WAY different.  The bass from the 400 sounded much better, more realistic, with great resolution.  The Mac bass was subjectively a bit louder, but, it lacked definition, while the 400 had outstanding definition.  Stand up bass with the 400 was very close to life like. 
4) The presence range from the 400 was again, more life like sounding.  Listening to the Berlin Philharmonic DVD's, the 400's actually sounded like the violin soloist was in the same room.  

In summary, every aspect of sound reproduction was improved with the 400 over the Mac gear.  Granted, the MC152 is only 150 watts, but the T+A speakers are really efficient, so 150 watts should be good enough.  (Actually, the MC152 measures closer to 220 watts).  

So, I sold the Mac gear (gotta love Mac resale value!), and as fate would have it, picked up a D-Premier that was just re-furbished by the factory (with a 5 year warranty).  I moved the 400's back to my other speakers (Dynaudio Focus 360, which is supported by SAM).

So here is the thing:  The D-Premier provides the same level of improvements with the T+A speakers as the 400's.  I really don't notice any real difference between the D-Premier and the 400 with the T+A speakers.  The max suggested power for the T+A speakers is 180 watts, so the 240 watts from the D-Premier is more than adequate.  The D-Premier provides all the same improvements that the 400 provided.  Went back and herd the same things with the D-Premier that I herd with the 400's. 

My understanding is that the ADH in the D-Premier is the same as the Expert, so shouldn't they more or less have the same sonic signature?  It seems like it does with the T+A speakers.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB

Messages In This Thread
RE: McIntosh MA9000 vs Devialet D-Premier by Jeff Fritz - by Redwingnine - 27-May-2019, 22:55