Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best cable speakers money can buy?
(27-Feb-2018, 03:06)bernardl Wrote: At the moment I am considering the Chord company Sarum T that appears to be have one of the best price performance ratio (performance up there with the very best at half or 1/3 the price).

Has someone tried them with a Devialet?

Cheers,
Bernard

I had the Chord Sarum for a few years before moving onto to Transparent Ref XL and now Shunyata Sigma.

After a very torturous period of burn in (I would recommend buying second hand if you can) the cables eventually settled but I always had a problem of too much energy in the room. They just gave you more of everything, but the top end could be a bit much. Slightly synthetic 3D effect and quite a bright/shiny/glassy sound. These cables initially impressed in the demos but living with them had its ups and downs.

The Transparent Ref XL was a huge improvement over the Sarums, a lot more refined, quieter and tonally darker sounding in that Transparent kind of way. You could turn the music right up and everything stayed balanced. I also started hearing details in the music that I hadn't noticed before. I was very happy with these.

Obviously with the Shunyata Sigmas I can't be totally objective since I am now the UK distributor. However I consider them another jump over the Transparents, in comparison they don't seem to filter the sound and let everything through however I don't have the issue I had with the Sarums where the room just gets overloaded with high frequency energy. So I would say much better balanced tonally but with all the refinement of the Transparents.

I know Chord has updated the Sarum speaker cable however my understanding is that its basic sound characteristics haven't changed a great deal. I think their ChordMusic cable is much better.

Cheers,

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best cable speakers money can buy? - by GuillaumeB - 27-Feb-2018, 11:14