Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to improve Jitter issue via USB/ETHERNET ?
(17-Apr-2018, 09:52)PeppaPig Wrote: Hi Confused, you said the Devialet internal clock is a very low jitter clock, is that means if I use Mac mini USB into Devialet’s USB, I don’t need Mutec MC-3 in the middle as there is no benefit?

As usual, it's not quite that simple.

Bear in mind that the MC3+USB connects to the Devialet via the AES/EBU input, not USB.  It's reasonably well established, I'd venture to say, that using the Devialet's AES/EBU input in itself can provide a sound quality improvement over the USB input (though some have said the gap might have been closed in the Pro models).  At least, using AES/EBU is easier to get to sound good than USB.  So part of the benefit of the MC3+USB is, I think, down to the fact that it converts from USB to AES/EBU with very good isolation to prevent the usual USB "nasties" reaching the Devialet.  This may be just as important a factor as the fact that it provides a very clean, low-jitter clock to the Devialet's AES/EBU input.

Most people who've tried it, myself included, feel that using the MC3+USB in this way provides a noticeable improvement in sound quality when compared to a direct USB connection from something like a Mac Mini.  Whether you "need it" or not is a matter of judgement and so very much a personal decision.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to improve Jitter issue via USB/ETHERNET ? - by thumb5 - 17-Apr-2018, 10:35