Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to improve Jitter issue via USB/ETHERNET ?
(17-Apr-2018, 10:35)thumb5 Wrote:
(17-Apr-2018, 09:52)PeppaPig Wrote: Hi Confused, you said the Devialet internal clock is a very low jitter clock, is that means if I use Mac mini USB into Devialet’s USB, I don’t need Mutec MC-3 in the middle as there is no benefit?

As usual, it's not quite that simple.

Bear in mind that the MC3+USB connects to the Devialet via the AES/EBU input, not USB.  It's reasonably well established, I'd venture to say, that using the Devialet's AES/EBU input in itself can provide a sound quality improvement over the USB input (though some have said the gap might have been closed in the Pro models).  At least, using AES/EBU is easier to get to sound good than USB.  So part of the benefit of the MC3+USB is, I think, down to the fact that it converts from USB to AES/EBU with very good isolation to prevent the usual USB "nasties" reaching the Devialet.  This may be just as important a factor as the fact that it provides a very clean, low-jitter clock to the Devialet's AES/EBU input.

Most people who've tried it, myself included, feel that using the MC3+USB in this way provides a noticeable improvement in sound quality when compared to a direct USB connection from something like a Mac Mini.  Whether you "need it" or not is a matter of judgement and so very much a personal decision.

Thanks mate. Does the type of USB cable matters? As it’s digital, different USB cable shouldn’t matter much?

Messages In This Thread
How to improve Jitter issue via USB/ETHERNET ? - by PeppaPig - 17-Apr-2018, 11:02