Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discipline In Cable Selection?
I agree with assessment of cable parameters: cable should transmit the signal as unaltered as possible and never be used to correct equipment or room acoustics.
The price and performance of a lot cables on the market has no relationship to materials, research and construction only to marketing. I started with comparing a lot of cables at quite different price points and after several purchases I regretted longterm I started to DIY most of my cables (except for USB were I completely failed).
One example is speaker cables. I built some using a silver ribbon slightly twisted inserted in a teflon tube (so mostly air as a dielectric). They sound very coherent in the upper base to highs with very good transparency and very detailed and stable soundstage but they are under presenting the low frequencies (I guess just to much resistance) . That does not matter for me as I do active crossover and separate amps.
I use mono amps for my woofers and so the are only 0.5m long Milliot braid cables made from 1mm AgAu wire. They give quite good bass extension and very low noise but maybe higher gauge would be even more beneficial.

Messages In This Thread
Discipline In Cable Selection? - by IanG-UK - 30-Mar-2018, 21:17
Discipline In Cable Selection? - by zdenes - 30-Mar-2018, 22:14
RE: Discipline In Cable Selection? - by Music or sound - 30-Mar-2018, 22:28
RE: Discipline In Cable Selection? - by Womaz - 31-Mar-2018, 08:29
RE: Discipline In Cable Selection? - by Womaz - 31-Mar-2018, 09:57