Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(20-May-2019, 09:24)baconbrain Wrote:
(19-May-2019, 10:00)Antoine Wrote: When I myself first bought optical cables I didn’t do much ‘research’ and just bought plain OM4 type cables, brand unknown. Only later I saw that there’s all types of specialty cables as well including types that can bend. Have a look here for example: https://www.fs.com/c/fiber-optic-cables-209

You can see there’s ‘bend insensitive’ cables (BIF) there for example or ruggedized ones.

So short answer: it depends on the cable. All (should) have the maximum bend radius’s specified. Smile

Really appreciate this. Are you currently running Multi- or Singlemode?

No problem! Smile

I bought the parts for the optical setup before many people started experimenting with different types of cables, SFP’s, single/multi mode etc. It now seems to matter also or at least some people report differences in the resulting SQ of their systems. So while I am at standard 550nm multi mode, single mode for long distances like 20/40/80kms seems better. Corning cables seems to get good reviews.

I’ve only found snippets of information re this subject on audiophilestyle and whatsbestforum. I do believe @octaviars has researched and/or experimented here a bit. I myself have put it on the ‘virtual to do list’ for perhaps after the etherREGEN becomes available (which also has an optical input). Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by Antoine - 20-May-2019, 10:36