Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet v Benchmark/Parasound/Pass Labs
I think that Devialet is approaching the single largest problem within hi-fi, i.e. amplitude and phase errors caused by speakers and room, in the correct way. I hope they continue the SAM project (which corrects speakers) with some sort of room measurement and correction module. For most of us (where the living room is the listening room, limiting choices of speaker positions and negating anything but minor room treatment) it is a fact that the effects of speaker-room interactions swamp all other differences between hi-fi equipment, at least in the high end segment.

Another (than Devialet) interesting example of what some well thought out solutions can do is the Bang & Olufsen BeoLab5; their top of the line dsp-room correction-dac-amplifier-speaker all in one unit. I know that mentioning a B&O product in a high-end hi-fi forum is a proof of being a heretic. However, those who want me burned at the stake have not heard the BeoLab5. Similar to Devialet, B&O is actually one of the most inventive firms in the hi-fi industry. They invented the ICEpower class D amplification (which dominates the class D segment in hi-fi), they were one of the first (I guess) to adopt a holistic view of listening, i.e. a simple all-in-one solution that takes care of every from the signal to the speaker output and room interactions. The acoustic lens technology really works very well. The ingenious, extremely easy to use, room-correction also work very well (the speakers send out tone burst and microphones, that comes out from the bottom of the speakers during calibration, capture everything which then goes into the DSP unit in the speakers). And the BeoLab5 looks really cool in just about any living room...

Actually, the main reason why I have not invested in the BeoLab5 is that they are now rather old and have the first generation of the ICEpower amplification and the treble is not up to par with better class A/AB amplifiers. The day that B&O realize that they can use Devialet modules instead of ICEpower I know what I will do....

Kari

Messages In This Thread
RE: Devialet v Benchmark/Parasound/Pass Labs - by Kari - 07-Dec-2014, 09:30