Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone using high level inputs on sub?
I'd ask Devialet about the appropriate connection method but I think SAM **MAY** have some slight benefit in conjunction with a REL.

If you're using the high level input to the REL you're running your main speakers full range so SAM may help with them. The idea when using the high level input to the REL is that you run the main speakers full range and select your crossover and level on the REL so that the REL rolls off as the mains are rolling off and the sound from the REL as it rolls off adds to the sound from the mains as they roll off to produce a smooth bass response. Yes, the REL will be getting the same correction as the mains and the phase correction provided for the mains may not match the ideal phase correction for the REL but it **MAY** help in producing a smoother blend with the mains in the crossover region. A lot is going to depend on the response of the REL in the crossover region and how it blends with the mains as they roll off.

2 important points:

First, REL state that the main mistake people make when integrating a REL with the main speakers using the high level input is setting the crossover too high and the REL's gain setting too low. What I found when using the high level connection in a home theatre setup (not with a Devialet so no SAM) was that I needed to set the crossover frequency on the REL to the lowest frequency possible when pairing with a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SEs (2 way standmount monitor) which surprised me so I'd start with the lowest crossover frequency setting and start raising the gain to try and achieve a match.

Second, I've used my 130 PRO first with the same Dyn 1.3 SEs and also now with a pair of Sopra 2s, neither with a sub. I've found my best results come when setting SAM low, usually around 25% or lower and felt that things didn't sound good if I set it higher. I've never been happy with SAM at 50% with either of my speakers so I'm not surprised to hear that you don't thing it sounded very good with SAM at anything over 50%. I'd suspect, given that the SAM profile for your mains is unlikely to be a perfect match for your REL, that if SAM is going to be of benefit with the REL you would need to set the SAM level low, perhaps even at 0%. I'd also think that finding the right phase setting, zero or 180 degrees, may make a difference as well.

REL make a number of different sub models and your results may well vary depending on which model REL you use since the SAM profile for your mains may be closer to some REL models than to others.

I think it's worth a try but it may or may not work. If you want to get more bass extension from your mains you may well be better off trying some bass traps to improve your room's bass response and SAM may help there as well. Once again I'd think you'd need to use a very low crossover frequency and careful adjustment of the gain setting, and you'd probably do better with a low SAM setting. My room has bass traps which do help with my bass response, both with or without SAM, and the bass traps may well be part of the reason why I find myself preferring a lower SAM setting.

So, provided there are no problems with the grounding side of the connection, I'd say it's worth a try with the REL but there's no guarantee that the REL will be beneficial.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone using high level inputs on sub? - by David A - 01-May-2018, 10:13