Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I upsample?
Thank you for your responses!  As suggested I tried out various configurations.  For my test I used Beethoven Piano Sonatas played on a pianoforte and Nielsen symphonies  My experiences correspond to both those of Pim and Zappydev.  I tried the DSD and found that there seemed to be a softening and loss of detail (of course this may not be an issue with native DSD files - but I don't have any of these).  Along with Zappydev, I didn't find any benefit of getting Roon to do the upsampling - they sounded the same to my ears.

One tweak that did seem to provide some sound quality benefit is the volume levelling - which I have set at the album level.  This seems to provide just a little bit more "air" around the sound.  I do not know why this might be the case - although I notice, that according to the Roon Signal Path information, Roon is doing some processing to achieve this.

I have to say, it is wonderful that my issues with Devialet are now around tweaking to get the best possible sound (from what is already excellent SQ) rather than just keeping the system playing music.  The next challenge will be to see if I can improve on the speaker set up using Roon.  (My dealer did the installation for me - and I think it is pretty good - but you never know!)

Messages In This Thread
Should I upsample? - by Will - 26-Jun-2018, 09:27
RE: Should I upsample? - by Zappydev - 26-Jun-2018, 10:41
RE: Should I upsample? - by zdenes - 26-Jun-2018, 18:19
RE: Should I upsample? - by Pim - 26-Jun-2018, 10:41
RE: Should I upsample? - by Will - 27-Jun-2018, 02:03