Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help - My devialet D-premier sounds crap
Hi all,

thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions. On a second read I understand that my post was too vague, and lacking sufficient info to credibly trouble shoot my problem. So here's a bit more detail.

I have two systems at home :

1. My HT system in my living room : Roku UHD > Marantz SR6011 + Parasound halo integrated > Qacoustics Concept 40's + Concept centre + Q7000i ( 5.1.4 setup ).  I also  use a Yamaha wxc-50 as digital streamer into a chord 2 qute dac plugged into the analogue inputs of the parasound amp for 2 channel music. All cabling is supra.

2. My dedicated 2 channel system : HP laptop running Dirac live > Devialet Air > PMC Twenty 26 speakers. All cabling is highend masterclass from Germany.

I was used to the chord2qute and the parasound halo integrated's sound, both with the PMC twenty 26 and Qacoustics concept 40's. And when I plugged the devialet into this chain and replaced the combination of Parasound halo integrated + Chord2qute, the first noticeable difference was overwhelming bass. There was certainly a discernable increase in the clarity in the treble region. But the lower end still sounded very muddy. Then I changed the stock Devialet power chord, with a cardass cable and there was perceptible tightening in the bass and the lower mid range. 

I have the same issue wether I play via the devialet air or feed digitally through the coax-in via a Yamaha wxc-50 playing flac downloads from HD tracks from my Nas. 

So, I installed Dirac live to add some room correction, hoping it could mitigate the over whelming bass. Thouhg it tidied it up a bit, the sound is still nowhere close to perfect. I still have muddy sound coming from my speakers.

So,  as a next step, I took my devialet to my friends place, who has an awesome sounding system :

Custom PC running roon > NorthStar Supremo Dac > Ayon tube pre-amp > Parasound halo A21 power amp > B&W diamond 804 speakers. In a completely treated room. He has tweaked his system over many years to get the synergy right. And iam really familiar with how it exactly sounds, as I've spent quiet a few evenings listening there and drooling shamelessly. 

I had configured the devialet to take the feed from the NorthStar supremo dac via its line level inputs before taking it to my friends place. And after plugging it in his system to replace the ayon tube pre-amp and parasound power amp, on playing there was a discernable drop in clarity which was very evident. 

My friend who is an experienced veteran in this hobby, assured me that he would try to see if he could improve the sound trying various power cords and cables he had. But after trying for almost a week, he is of the opinion that the devialet needs a better dac. I will collect my devialet from him tomorrow, and try it again in my place. 

I had posted my query asking for help, on the day my friend gave up. And I had simultaneously dispatched an email to the gentleman I bought the devialet from, explaining my issues. He assured me that the devialet was sounding pristine till the last he used it.

So, can someone please help me here. Is there something iam doing wrong. I will certainly spend more time tomorrow, once I have the devialet back with it's configuration settings. If anyone has experience of their setting tweaks that improved clarity, then it would be really helpful.

Many thanks in advance for your valuable time and help.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please help - My devialet D-premier sounds crap - by newlash09 - 08-Jul-2018, 21:17