Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D Premier versus 130 Expert Pro - buying NEW in 2018, what would you pick?
Hi everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my setup and have found your great forum here.  My proposed setup will include:

1. Phono (Clearaudio emotion running modified DL103)
  2. Digital audio (Spotify)
  3. Optical (CD)
  4. Pre-out from an AV receiver, such that the Devialet device handles the front left/right channels, allowing me to use the Devialet device as both a two-channel stereo and also integrate into a home theatre system where the AV-receiver drives the centre and surrounds
I am not much of a tinkerer and I do not upgrade often - I am replacing amplifiers that I bought form new 15 years ago to make this upgrade (Myryad MP100 and MA240).  Outputs for now would be to Totem Hawk speakers and a REL q150e sub; would like to, in the next 5-7 years, replace the Totems with KEF Blade 2s.

I have found the following options on the market and I'm not sure what my best move is.  Would love your input.

1. Devialet D Premier with optional ceramic white finish, new in box, 5 year warranty, from a dealer.  $4,400 USD.
  2. Devialet Expert 130 Pro with factory CI and pre-out board, new dealer demo, 5 year warranty.  $4,400 USD.
  3. Devialet Expert 120 Ensemble with Atohm speakers, used market.  $3970 USD, could potentially recoup $1500 from re-selling to speakers to make this net $2470 USD.
  4. Devialet Expert 120 Pro with pre-out board, used market.  $2,865 USD, avoids the hassle of re-selling speakers.
What would you think is my best option here?  Obviously the used options are better prices but I'm not in a position to pay retail prices to replace these should there be issues, so at this price bracket, a warranty has great appeal.  The D Premier has more inputs, more power, and a nicer finish.  Many reports on the forum that the D Premier is about as good as the 250, so certainly should be sonically superior to the 120/130.  However, this would come with from-factory firmware (5.6.0), would not be upgradeable, and would lack the SAM function which is compatible with both my current and planned future speakers.  Stepping down to the 120/130 options would get me SAM, but would substantially decrease the power available AND the number of inputs the unit can accommodate.

To confuse this more....

I could pre-out the 120/130 to a separate power amp if power was an issue in the future, though I think this undermines the excellent Devialet amp.  Some positive reports of this however on this very forum.  Additionally, I could increase the number of sources into the unit by running sources through my AVR which will pre-out into the Devialet, treating the AVR as a source switcher.

I'm obviously over-thinking this a great deal;  tell me what to do!  Would you go for new D Premier, new 130 Pro w/ pre-out, or look to the used market?  Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
D Premier versus 130 Expert Pro - buying NEW in 2018, what would you pick? - by Zedeff - 03-Sep-2018, 19:48