Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Developping a stereo system replacing spark + dialog
(27-Sep-2018, 13:16)ogs Wrote:
(24-Sep-2018, 23:39)jcd1877 Wrote:
(24-Sep-2018, 18:20)daibaron Wrote: How do you control the volume at the end ?
Does it disable the Bluetooth ?
This is going to be my test solution using direct optical:
  • As I don't have an issue with running cables, both phantoms will be set to L or R using above procedure.
  • The optical feeds from each Phantom will be fed fromĀ an optical splitterĀ (https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/ave...itter.html)
  • The input to the optical splitter will be from a Yamaha WXC-50

I want to have a go at this solution for a few reasons:
  • I'm so over the Spark app
  • Although input selection is on auto - it often gets confused
  • Desperately want to get rid of the face cream remote control - on to my second one now which has also had a repair job. They just aren't very robust in a family environment
  • Speaking of family - they all hate having a second remote for just the Phantom volume management. Constantly get asked why our universal remote wont control them - try explaining that one!!!
  • I love a good sounding system - but I'm no audiophile - thus I only have the whites and a dialog. System does both music and TV - therefore needs to be family friendly
  • Because I'm not an audiophile, I'm happy to see how the volume control goes in the digital domain within the WXC-50. They can be set to either a pre-amp mode or player mode. Pre-amp mode gives you 48bit resolution volume control in the digital output.
If I had realised how family-unfriendly the Phantom setup was, would have done something else maybe. BUT - I do love the sound quality from such a compact setup.

So waiting on my WXC-50 to arrive. Will let you know how I go.

Great! Please tell us what sample rates the optical splitter supports. As this is an active device it's probably different from the passive (mirror based) two-way splitters which are more common.

Spec sheet states a throughput of 16Mbits/s. I believe 24/192 files run an at 9.6. So plenty of capacity. But will check in the real world when all up and running

Messages In This Thread
RE: Developping a stereo system replacing spark + dialog - by jcd1877 - 27-Sep-2018, 21:23