Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New phantom reactor available on october 10 for €990
(15-Oct-2018, 18:38)ogs Wrote: That is correct. I guess there is a millisecond or two of delay through Experts too, whether analogue or digital but that is so little one can't hear it. Most of the delay in Phantoms is probably buffering as Devialet does not seem to use much DSP for other things than cross overs and ADH/SAM.  I have never seen official numbers on any of this from Devialet.

You can not compare the ‘possible’ delay of the Experts in terms of impact with possible delays on Phantoms. In a stereo setup like the Experts offer (both left and right channels are streamed as a package and then amplified and cable wired transmitted to the speakers) a delay of 1-2ms indeed is not dramatic. But when you use the experts e.g. for actively driving single drivers, i.e. bass and tweeters separately with different Experts then sync needs to be way more precise. That’s e.g. the case for dual mono amps, which are cable linked to each other to possibly have clocks synced. The same for Phantoms: Each of the speakers needs to be at least in sync with a precision of 25us, which corresponds to have up to 20kHz without phase shifts. This is what Dialog does very well and is crucial for how the sound stage is rock stable, wide and on a quality level no Sonos system or all the BT speakers perform when paired to stereo. I have so far not seen any analysis of Airplay2 to be of this precision. Lower precision makes the stereo image smear, precise instrument localization of orchestral music disappear. So I’m not so sure if a pure networked SW solution for Phantoms will be stable enough to guarantee left-right delays of less than 25us, i.e. speakers will be sufficiently in sync. It can be that RAAT from Roon has this precision but I’ve not seen published specs. Check this website to see in more details what the challenge is that some manufacturers solve using dedicated networking chips: https://www.design-reuse.com/articles/33...on-ip.html

Messages In This Thread
RE: New phantom reactor available on october 10 for €990 - by streamy - 15-Oct-2018, 20:23