Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bi amping using Devialet 120 and Cayin A88T MKII (Passive)
Hi, everyone, I'm trying to figure out a plan to bi-amp (horizontal) my system using Devialet Expert 120 (no pre-outs), Cayin A88T MKII (both are integrated amps) and a pair of B & W CM10 S2 (supporting bi wiring and bi amping). For this thread I just want to confine the discussion on passive bi amping. Later I would move on to active bi amping (Orelse too much info in one post). As far as I know there are two ways to do the bi amping depending on if Devialet can be used as amp-only or not (maybe this is too easy but I really cannot figure this out or find the answer online: I know you can make Devialet as preamp only and connect it to other amps through pre-out terminals. But my question is: can Devialet be used as amp only and be connected to another preamp?) But in either case I need to buy something new:

1. Devialet Expert 120 CAN be used as amp-only. Then I need to buy a preamp

In this situation the most intuitive way to bi amp (horizontal) is to have the music source (CD+DAC/TT+phono stage) connected to preamp, then preamp to 2 amps respectively (using the preamp to ensure same source and same gain for both amps)

2. Devialet Expert 120 CANNOT be used as amp-only. Then I need to buy the optional pre-out board

In this situation I'll connect the system as follows: music source (CD+DAC/TT+phono stage) to Devialet -> Devialet (pre-out) to Cayin (pre-in) -> Devialet to LF terminals of both speakers and Cayin HF terminals.

In this way the audio signals fed to both amps are the same and the gains are matched.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts welcome~ Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
Bi amping using Devialet 120 and Cayin A88T MKII (Passive) - by mjledme - 22-Oct-2018, 13:01