Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bi amping using Devialet 120 and Cayin A88T MKII (Passive)
(22-Oct-2018, 16:10)Vivialet Wrote: pass through should also work, I never used it.
For a 3-way active crossover you need either 3 Devialets or 2 Devialets and one power amp.

Hi, thank you. In this case, it would be tr-amping haha

However I still kinda confused:

1. Can I use Devialet and two stereo amps + a preamp to do this?

If so I may consider this because I'm considering the two options for my desktop hi-fi system: active speakers vs stereo amp+passive speakers. The former now seems more attractive for the sake of active crossovers but if I end up with the latter option, I'll have another amp to try the tri-amping.

2. Even if I can, is it true active bi-amping by inserting DSP between preamp and amps?

I doubt because:  for one thing, the passive crossover boards are still there in the speakers. Sure the crossover will be done in DSP rather than the passive crossover boards, but will there will be an audible or even huge improvement in SQ? For another: there are only HL and FL posts on the speakers. Signal below 350Hz will pass through the LF ones and above LF ones in the bi-amping setting. However, the signals above 350Hz will be separately fed into the tweeter (above 4kHz) and the mid-range woofer (between 350Hz and 4kHz) by the built-in passive crossover. To me, this nullifies the settings of DSP.

Seems that to do tri-amping on 3-way speakers, the speakers have to be equipped with HF, MF and LF posts; and the built-in passive crossover boards need to be removed. Correct?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bi amping using Devialet 120 and Cayin A88T MKII (Passive) - by mjledme - 23-Oct-2018, 04:48