Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Mac Mini as streamer plus music server
I use 2 sources also, files stored on my Antipodes server and Tidal, but I access both through Roon and I connect both my Antipodes and my 140 to my network via ethernet so the only input I use on my 140 is ethernet. I control Roon using Roon's iOS app.

So, to answer your question, if you run Roon on your Mac Mini and have it, your Devialet, and your Synology NAS all connected to the the same network you will be able to control file playback from Roon's iOS or android app on a mobile device which is connected to the same network. Obviously everything has to be connected on the same network for things to work.

When it comes to online streaming services things get different. If you're using Tidal then Roon can connect to your Tidal account and you use the Roon app on your mobile device as your interface with Tidal. You mentioned Spotify as an alternative to Tidal. You currently can't use Roon as a means of connecting to Spotify. I haven't used Spotify but I understand that you can use Spotify's mobile app to stream to a Devialet. Somebody else would have to tell you about that but, in any event, Spotify is one of the streaming sources accessible on Devialets with the CI streaming board so streaming Spotify to a Devialet over ethernet is definitely possible. It just won't be able to be done using the Roon mobile app unless Roon integrates Spotify into its functionality at some time in the future in a similar way to that it which it currently integrates Tidal.

I'm not quite certain what you mean by asking will the Devialet be accessible from your mobile. We've currently got very little functionality in a Devialet that can be controlled by a mobile app. The Devialet iOS remote app works on my iPad so I can change volume and inputs from a mobile device. I can access a rudimentary interface to my 140 which became available with the CI upgrade but currently can't use it to do anything really useful until Devialet make software improvements. Using Roon's mobile app I can only control Roon's playback of music from my server and from Tidal, and I can control the volume of playback in Roon's app as well as from the Devialet iOS remote app. Basically yes, the Devialet will be accessible from your mobile but what Devialet functions you can currently control that way are limited. We're still stuck with using the online configurator and SD cards for controlling the setup of our amps and control of things like balance and tone controls is still only possible using Devialet's physical remote control.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Uisng Mac Mini as streamer plus music server - by David A - 03-Nov-2018, 08:24