Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Mac Mini as streamer plus music server
Hi @David A Thanks for sharing more of your experience. I want to discuss with you about some area in your setup.

You mentioned you used Mac mini and it wasn't quite pleasing because you have to swap between Devialet App and the iTunes. But technically, the Antipodes is just a mini PC that optimized for Audio, using a Intel CPU. I assume you can do the exactly same thing using your Mac Mini, connect your Mac Mini to your Devialet via Ethernet, and then install ROON on the Mac mini, you should be able to do whatever you are doing with Antipodes now, the ROON running on Mac mini can also controlled by your phone. Why didn't you go down to this path and its cheap since you already got a Mac Mini. And with Mac mini, there are one advantage is you got a HDMI out to TV, which means many High-Def music TV will be available to you, you can hear it and watch shows, presentations from different ensembles, I found it sometimes more enjoyable than just hearing without seeing them. This is the entire reason I am considering Mac Mini as music server.

But I really worry about the power supply, internal fan noise, and USB output quality, Ethernet output quality.. the CX is quite expensive in AU. a lot more than Mac Mini... the Price for the CX, has many direct/indirect competitors, such as dCS Network Bridge or the Auralic Aires G2...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Uisng Mac Mini as streamer plus music server - by PeppaPig - 05-Nov-2018, 13:46