Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
AES67: Zero Latency with Gstreamer
I can understand that people would want simple low-latency Ethernet audio in something like a Phantom (I would!), but using AES67 is not as simple as adding the GStreamer plugin. The protocol was designed for managed, professional networks, and setup is not super easy (look at the setup guide for any Dante/RAVENNA/AES67 enables product). I think the number of support requests that poorly setup AES67 installations would generate, or the confusion of people thinking that they have networked audio "so why don't I see the Phantom on my PC?" etc., etc. – the Phantom is still a "consumer" product.

Plus, there's already a same-end-result solution available!

What Devialet does in complex installations with multiple speakers is a mix of both worlds using special-made Dante-to-optical adapters (https://www.audinate.com/products/dante-...al-adapter). This way you can setup as many Dante streams as you want (very close to AES67 by the way, I believe there's even a patent dispute) and use the direct optical mode on as many Phantoms as you want for, say, a 16-channel Atmos installation :-)

Messages In This Thread
AES67: Zero Latency with Gstreamer - by da2001 - 27-Dec-2018, 12:00
RE: AES67: Zero Latency with Gstreamer - by Brillo - 07-Jan-2019, 13:23