Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of a new setup, need advice
@Soundside

I understand about the ease of use of the Sonos and the other benefits it has, such as a very wide range of streaming service inclusion. It is also recognized by ROON, if you want to have that on a nearby computer. It is versatile enough that I have stuck with it as my streaming device for most listening.

I have a W4S modified Connect and a stock Amp, which runs the in-wall speakers in our kitchen. Having had a stock Connect previously, I can say that the modified Connect is substantially better than the stock Connect. My point here is that the new amp may be more powerful, but unless it is a sonically better product than the current Amp, I don't think it will be anywhere near a Phantom in sound quality.

I can't say this with any knowledge of this specific combination, but I would expect that it is not an adequate amp for speakers such as SF or any of it's peers. The new Amp may have more watts, but I doubt it has the current to really drive SF speakers, and I doubt that the rest of its internal parts are adequate either. It will work, but it would not likely give you the sound that you would expect from SF speakers.

I would suggest finding a D120 used and then a modded Connect to give you the Sonos advantages. Nowhere near your probable budget, I accept, esp with SF loudspeakers. If you don't like the Phantom appearance, then maybe Sonos into a Naim integrated into SF speakers? Or other, less demanding speakers?

Perhaps you can help us help you by telling us about your musical preferences, room size, and if CD/ FLAC files are good for you? (they are for me, BTW). Are you a current Devialet owner, or are you considering a move from another system? Where in the universe are you located?

If the Phantom Reactor worked in stereo, I'd personally go that way. They are the size of a large grapefruit, and could be hidden pretty easily.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thinking of a new setup, need advice - by Damon - 15-Jan-2019, 02:33