Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to judiciously invest in next to improve SQ?
Wink 
Soliciting advice from the devialet family here ... am sure many of you have been in similar boats thinking about where best/ next to invest to get your rigs to sound just like you want it to!

My journey's been quite basic - have a pair of speakers that aren't the greatest in quality - but they're half decent (martin logan 60xts) compared to some of the setups I've seen here. Personally, I like their forward/ aggressive sound signature and lovely tweeters. In comes the Devialet 220pro/ ci that I'm looking to have as the center of my audio engine for years to come. Haven't invested in audiophile "brand" cables/ interconnects yet - they are half decent - but not audiophile named branded cables. Play everything from my mac through Devialet AIR over ethernet. Intend to keep my setup simple as much as possible

Reading and researching, seems like I have the following areas to potentially improve:
  • Power - currently use a rudimentary panamax mr4000 conditioner - been contemplating about whether a power regenerator (e.g .the ps audio powerplant 10 or 12 look like good upgrades to open up the soundstage & dynamics) - potentially set me back by $5000
  • Power cable to the devialet - currently using stock audioquest power cable - contemplating either cerious technologies/ synergistic research atmosphere devialet spec - potentially set me back by $1000
  • Speaker Interconnects - haven't thought about these - quite happy with the existing set I have
  • Transport layer - Ethernet/ USB cables/ AES/ EBU - don't use any audiophile "branded" companies. Use offbrand shielded ethernet cable from router to the devialet - has been handling well.
  • Music playback - currently use a mac and use a pretty good software called vox to play my music through AIR - ethernet. Just from a SQ standpoint - will Roon make things better (thinking upsampling/ filters?) - $500 for software. Potentially $2500? for Roon Nucleus (phewwww!)
  • Source - Using a mac - are there better options to house and playback my music - NAS/ Roon Nucleus/ NUC/ others? Potentially $1500+
  • Room correction - won't be able to get any physical diffusers - but might be open to a room correction software - e.g. dirac?
  • Others - isolation/ vibration control, 20amp power supply?
With so many potential areas that might be available to improve, what is the most logical place to focus on next from an investment standpoint on maximizing improvement on SQ and three dimensionality of the music in the above? This is an expensive hobby  Confused ... Any thoughts on where you'd focus on improving SQ if you were in my position?
Signal path: Macbook Pro (Qobuz/ Vox Player) > Router > CAT 8 Ethernet > Devialet 220 pro > Shunyata Delta speaker cables > Wilson Sabrina speakers

Power path: Wall outlet > Shunyata Delta power cable > Devialet 220 pro

Messages In This Thread
What to judiciously invest in next to improve SQ? - by zambie - 22-Jan-2019, 00:36