Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Devialet produce "alive" music?
IME the Devialet is the least coloured amp I know of.
A lack of "live" sound is more likely to be a shortcoming of the recording than the hifi.
It is certainly possible to make speakers with a forward mid range which accentuates vocals but that is a sound effect not high fidelity IMO.
As an amateur recordist for over 50 years I can assure you that digital is more transparent than analogue. I never had an analogue recorder where the output of the recorder was indistinguishable from the microphone feed (though tape overload sounds quite nice if not overdone) whereas digital recorders have had an output indistinguishable from the microphone feed from the earliest days as long as the levels were correctly set. Overload is euphonic on tape recorders but shockingly horrible in digital, so must be avoided - though that is quite easy since you have over 20dB more dynamic range in a 16 bit system, more with 24-bit so don't have to push it like you do with tape.
I know lots of people go on about analogue being superior to digital but this is absolutely not the case in my experience either by comparing microphone feed to recorder output or by measurement.
I am quite sure if somebody prefers analogue it is either a pleasant artefact they like or simply the placebo effect/expectation.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
Does Devialet produce "alive" music? - by Alve - 04-Apr-2019, 13:32
RE: Does Devialet produce "alive" music? - by f1eng - 04-Apr-2019, 19:33