Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Devialet produce "alive" music?
I'm with @M_M here. Not that anyone should care what I think. Recording, mixing and mastering matter hugely. I'm not overly concerned with soundstage and instrument positioning, but I know... believe, that good spatial presentation is what happens when music is well recorded, mixed and mastered. But it is not necessarily 'real', and what we do with our system set up is not as important as what the engineer does. Or, we can't do more than the production process does.

Exhibit A: Maggie singing, upstairs, in a room acoustically isolated from the floor below. (Man, I had such a crush on her).
Exhibit B: Damon, posing downstairs, in front of a bunch of equipment with a bewildering number of lights and buttons, where I played my parts. (yes, I really am this old).

Result: music recorded live off the floor. Strangely no one ever said, 'Gee, it sounds like the singer is 15 feet higher and in a room by herself.' Or, 'why is the bass amp in a separate room?' All I suggesting is that based on my limited experience, recording quality, at every step in the process, matters a great deal. 

Leaping back to the original question posed by @Alve, I can't say that Devialet-based systems will give you the 'alive' feeling you seek. But I feel that the Devialet lets me see more deeply, more clearly, into the recorded music than other amps I've heard. And without question, my exposure to other amps is quite limited so I'm not making this an absolute claim. But listening to recordings that I know intimately, I'm getting the real deal with this amp. Your hearing and preferences may vary. 

Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
Does Devialet produce "alive" music? - by Alve - 04-Apr-2019, 13:32
RE: Does Devialet produce "alive" music? - by Damon - 08-Apr-2019, 01:07