Poll: Is your listening room acoustically treated?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I have a dedicated, professionally treated room
1.92%
2 1.92%
I have a dedicated room I treated myself
13.46%
14 13.46%
I listen in the living room but it's well treated
14.42%
15 14.42%
I listen in the living room and it has no room treatment but it sound ok because of all the stuff in it
49.04%
51 49.04%
I listen in a living room that sounds pretty ordinary
21.15%
22 21.15%
Total 104 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is your listening room acoustically treated?
My setup is generally similar to that of @Jean-Marie but a bit smaller in width and length. It is not ideal, I just have no other workable location options. Strangely, during renovations I had a previous system set up in the dining room, which is sort of at the point of a triangle between the open kitchen and the living room. I was a bit disappointed that abandoning the dining table was not one of the decorating options I had before me.

We have enough stuff in the living room to create some baffle effects, or something like that; there are some small steps in the side walls and the room is open along part of one long side. Strangely, the sound is very good at the end of the room opposite the speakers; there is an 'end' of the room there so I expected it to be the worst location, with echo and bounce. When working at the computer with music on, I've had more, 'hey, what was that' moments in this spot than I have in the centred listening chair. 

A few years ago, I had a demo of a multi channel system in a very small, almost cube-proportioned room. I think it was a Monitor Audio theatre system. Even when the volume was quite loud, the room was very 'still'. It was so surprising that the sound could be turned way up, but not have the usual reverb and long echo/ decay that can really make things sound terrible.

After that experience I have no doubt about the value of a good room and effective acoustic treatments. Not necessarily sexy, but very important.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is your listening room acoustically treated? - by Damon - 10-Apr-2019, 00:00