Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon Tip: Setting volume levels
Yes, there is a relationship between recording level and dynamic range and the loudness wars are relevant.

Most of what I listen to is jazz, more acoustic jazz than electric jazz, and a lot of it comes from European labels like ECM and ACT. Roon shows a dynamic range of 8-10 dB for most of the recordings I listen to, quite often a range between 10 and 15 dB, and sometimes even greater than 15 dB. I suspect people who listen to classical also see Roon show similar dynamic range results for their recordings. I'm not saying I never play stuff that's been impacted by the loudness wars but by and large I definitely don't see the worst of what the loudness wars have inflicted on recordings in the recordings I play.

The method I outlined above works for me but, as I said, it does become less reliable when the dynamic range of a recording drops below the 8-10 dB range. If you play music with a reasonably decent dynamic range this method may be of use to you. If you play music with a limited dynamic range then it probably won't be much use. Its usefulness may also vary from recording label to recording label as I said. All people can do is to try it for themselves if they wish and see if they find it useful. Some may, some won't. YMMV.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
Roon Tip: Setting volume levels - by David A - 23-May-2019, 23:22
RE: Roon Tip: Setting volume levels - by David A - 25-May-2019, 21:29