Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
(07-Jul-2019, 14:41)Confused Wrote:
(07-Jul-2019, 13:56)RebelMan Wrote: It puzzles me why you found the 170 so lacking as compared to the 240 when driving the Kef Blades.  I suspect the conditions between listening sessions differed significantly.

The amps were swapped in front of me, with everything else left unchanged, the same music was used too.  The D170 went first, and had been powered up and running for some time, so arguably it had an advantage over the "swapped in" D240.

Someone once said if you eliminate the impossible whatever remains however improbable must be the truth.  The 170 and 240 are bred from a similar (nearly identical) architecture.  Applying the aforementioned rule it would be impossible for the 170 to sound anything short of similar to the 240.  All that remains is the conditions of the test environment.  Nothing else changed?  How can you be so sure?  How did you confirm everything?  Surely you took level matched measurments before and after the swap?  Surely you measured the SPLs at the same position using the same sources before and after the swap?  See where this is going?
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by RebelMan - 07-Jul-2019, 22:27