Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
David A Wrote:Re the dBA scale: Don't use it!!! The dBA weighting scale was designed specifically for assessing the risk of hearing damage. The bass rolloff is there because our ears become less sensitive at lower frequencies and noise at those frequencies provides less risk of hearing damage than the higher frequencies where the curve is flat. If you want to know whether you're likely to get hearing damage at your listening levels use dBA weighting with an option that averages the levels being measured and calculates a noise dose based on 8 hours continuous exposure to those levels. That's the way dBA weighting is intended to be used.
Agreed.  I did a little bit of reading up re the dBA scale and it appears to only be relevant to "relatively quiet" SPL's.  There might be some debate about how loud the music was playing in the video, but I suspect we can all agree that it was most likely not "relatively quiet".  Fletcher Munson might be more relevant I think, but maybe drifting off topic here.

(Some kind of Fletcher Munson widget might be a nice use for all this new Devialet DSP power that is going spare in the CI Board? - but that's definitely off topic here)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by Confused - 15-Jul-2019, 17:14