Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
I have found a different version of the video linked in the OP. Well, not different as such, it is two minutes longer, with the additional section from about 9m 45s. For those that might be interested, it is in post #9 per the link below:

https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/foru...eally-need

In the final two minutes of the video, the music is a rather pleasant sonata, and I would say it is being played somewhat louder than the level most people would want to play this kind of music. The peak power levels on the CI Precision amps are an order of magnitude lower than for the Pan Sonic track, I note that the pre amp is set to the same level of gain.

For me, it seams relatively intuitive that a pleasant sonata is not going to require the shear levels of power that an electronic track with epic levels of near infrasonic bass will need, and that is exactly what we are seeing here. I do remain a little surprised at just how much power was being consumed earlier in the video. Perhaps the lesson here is that most of us understand that speaker efficiency, room size, listening distance etc. are all very important factors. What might be less well understood is that the type of music we want to listen to might just turn out to be by far the biggest factor of the lot.

In the OP I mentioned the demo I had of the D170 versus a D240, where the D170 seamed to struggle with the Blades. I still have the USB drive with music files used for that demo. Amongst a variety of music, Kraftwerk's Aerodynamic and Massive Attack's Unfinished Sympathy can be found. Both are at the more challenging end of the epic levels of near infrasonic bass scale. I recall that it was the Kraftwerk track that finally made me give up on the 170.

By contrast to the above, at this week's demo at OAC, I thought that the 140 Pro sounded great with the Wilson Audio Sabrinas, genuinely rather good, No Kraftwerk was played!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by Confused - 19-Jul-2019, 08:23