Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
Back to the topic...having bought a copy of the Será Una Noche album (Todd at MA Recordings was extremely helpful, by the way), I ran ocenaudio's statistics function for the track "Nublado" mentioned in the article I linked to yesterday.  Here's the result:

(Sorry that it's come out so huge.  Does anyone know how to make vBulletin display attached images at their actual size rather than ballooning them up like this...?)

If I read that right, we have a crest factor of about 18 dB on one channel (and 14 dB on the other).  Roon gives the album as a whole a DR value of 14.

Now, the thing is, casually listening to this track I'd have guessed it was very undemanding on the amplifier.  It's basically rather sparse, tango-style music played exclusively on acoustic instruments -- about as different as it could be from the Pan Sonic track in the video at the top of the thread!  But, confirming what the article says, it requires a lot more amplifier headroom than you'd expect to reproduce the peaks without error.  Since it's generally quite sparse, it's easy to turn this up to the point where it doesn't sound overly loud yet you could be running out of headroom on the peaks.

Incidentally it sounds like a very nice album, from what I've heard so far.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by thumb5 - 29-Aug-2019, 20:19