Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Used D400 vs new D220 (speakers = Sopra #2)...
Smile 
Hi,

If you have any other points to add or general views on the D400 vs D220 debate please let me know…. such a tough decision ahead!

Below are points to note (*’s) and the positives (+’s) to summarise where I have got to from reading the various threads within this forum and a number of reviews.

Option A: Purchase a NEW D220 Pro in Spain/France for around €6,400 / ~USD$7,200. Hoping to get 20% VAT refunded as I will be on holiday.

+ Will sound better due to “pro” (~30% of people have this view when compared to a D400)
+ Upgradable (D440) if I wish to spend more money (which I don’t at this stage)
+ Better streaming capabilities (which I won’t be using at this stage)
+ Will have 5-year global warranty (purchased in Spain but to be used in New Zealand)
+ Will be purchased for around 60% of the current retail price in New Zealand (usefull in the event I need to sell)

Option B: Purchase a USED D400 (2 x D200) in New Zealand for around ~€7,000 / ~USD$7,800

* Used privately for about 5 years (so outside of global warranty). Will have 3-month store warranty.
* Sold on behalf by a reputable dealer
* If one unit failed I would likely be left with a D200
+ Will sound better due to extra power (~70% of people have this view when compared to a D220)

Other notes;
* Main front speakers are Sopra #2 with no plans to change
* Used for ~50% music and ~50% home theatre.
* Will probably upgrade to Roon Nucleus in next 24 months
* I am based in New Zealand

Where I get to is that these options are very close… but the number of positives of the D220 put it in front but only slightly over the more powerful D400.

So, have I missed anything or got something wrong?

What would you do?

Any advice would be appreciated

Messages In This Thread
Used D400 vs new D220 (speakers = Sopra #2)... - by mks - 26-Jul-2019, 10:27