Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Used D400 vs new D220 (speakers = Sopra #2)...
(26-Jul-2019, 10:27)mks Wrote: Hi,

If you have any other points to add or general views on the D400 vs D220 debate please let me know…. such a tough decision ahead!

Below are points to note (*’s) and the positives (+’s) to summarise where I have got to from reading the various threads within this forum and a number of reviews.

Option A: Purchase a NEW D220 Pro in Spain/France for around €6,400 / ~USD$7,200. Hoping to get 20% VAT refunded as I will be on holiday.

+ Will sound better due to “pro” (~30% of people have this view when compared to a D400)
+ Upgradable (D440) if I wish to spend more money (which I don’t at this stage)
+ Better streaming capabilities (which I won’t be using at this stage)
+ Will have 5-year global warranty (purchased in Spain but to be used in New Zealand)
+ Will be purchased for around 60% of the current retail price in New Zealand (usefull in the event I need to sell)

Option B: Purchase a USED D400 (2 x D200) in New Zealand for around ~€7,000 / ~USD$7,800

* Used privately for about 5 years (so outside of global warranty). Will have 3-month store warranty.
* Sold on behalf by a reputable dealer
* If one unit failed I would likely be left with a D200
+ Will sound better due to extra power (~70% of people have this view when compared to a D220)

Other notes;
* Main front speakers are Sopra #2 with no plans to change
* Used for ~50% music and ~50% home theatre.
* Will probably upgrade to Roon Nucleus in next 24 months
* I am based in New Zealand

Where I get to is that these options are very close… but the number of positives of the D220 put it in front but only slightly over the more powerful D400.

So, have I missed anything or got something wrong?

What would you do?

Any advice would be appreciated
Hi, and welcome to Devialet Chat!
Personally, I would go with the D220 beacause it’s newer technology, you’d have a five year guarantee, CI board should you upgrade your streaming capability and it’s cheaper than the used D400.
The 220 is easily good enough to drive the Sopra 2, @David A uses a 140 (I think) to drive his Sopra 2s.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England

Messages In This Thread
RE: Used D400 vs new D220 (speakers = Sopra #2)... - by Axel - 26-Jul-2019, 10:56