Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Used D400 vs new D220 (speakers = Sopra #2)...
@mks

As @Axel said, I use a 140 Pro with Sopra 2s and find it works really well. A lot depends on how loud you like your music and how large your room is. I've got an L shaped room which is a bit under 30 sq m in area but because of the shape and where I place the speakers, my listening position is relatively close to the speakers, about 2.6 metres from each speaker. Most of the music I listen to is jazz so lots of acoustic rather than electric instruments and I listen at modest levels so I'm not driving the 140 hard, the volume control is usually around the -20 dB level so I've got plenty of power to spare.

I'd also go for the 220 Pro for the same reasons Axel gave, provided you don't need the extra slightly less than 3 dB in peak level that the 400 would give you. Some people think that the dual amps provide better sound quality than the single amps but I think the gain is likely small. I bought my 140 prior to the release of the CI board so it was pretty similar in technology to the 200 at that stage. I felt the CI board gave me a small gain in sound quality so as far as sound quality goes, ignoring the slightly higher peak volumes you can reach, my 140 was probably similar to a 200 before the CI board upgrade and it worked well with the Sopra 2's at that stage. I don't think you'd get a big improvement in sound quality from the 400 over a 220 but judging sound quality is a personal thing and you might find it more compelling than I would. If you've got a noticeably bigger room than I have and like your music loud you might find the extra power useful.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Used D400 vs new D220 (speakers = Sopra #2)... - by David A - 26-Jul-2019, 13:03