Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Embarassed to admit...
(29-Jul-2019, 01:37)David A Wrote: Not running anything like that but many years ago, before I got my Devialet and current speakers I was running Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SEs with a NAD M3 integrated and a digital front end and a friend was running vintage Altec Lansing horn loaded speakers with a single ended triode amp and a vinyl front end. Chalk and cheese systems.

We both liked a lot of the same music, especially jazz, and we'd visit each other often. At his place we'd play 50's and '60's jazz and rock and at my place we'd play stuff recorded much more recently, from the '90's on. We both agreed that for most music from the '70s or earlier, his system did a better job but for a lot of stuff from the '90s on my system did a better job. His system did a good job on more recent stuff and mine did a good job on older stuff, it wasn't that each system did something good and something bad but that each did a good job but each was better at a different thing. He listened to more early stuff than I did so we were each quite happy with our own system though we really appreciated each other's very different system as well.

We all like different music and we all like a slightly different sound to the way music is reproduced. We buy our systems and listen to them for enjoyment. If you aren't enjoying your own system you're doing something wrong, if you're enjoying your own system you're doing something right and it doesn't matter what other people think about your choices. They get to make their own choices in their systems and people who criticise other people's systems aren't going to care what you think about their choices.

Don't be embarrassed, enjoy your own system. Make your own equipment and music choices and have fun. That's why we're all doing the sorts of things we do.

I can't seem to find anyone who is running this setup; would love feedback if anyone has given it a try.  Maybe even with Fortes.  If I'm compromising, at this price point, it's to be expected.  I must stress that the Apertas made a massive difference.

Messages In This Thread
Embarassed to admit... - by awkaplan - 28-Jul-2019, 23:58
RE: Embarassed to admit... - by David A - 29-Jul-2019, 01:37
RE: Embarassed to admit... - by awkaplan - 29-Jul-2019, 02:52
RE: Embarassed to admit... - by antilles - 31-Jul-2019, 23:03
RE: Embarassed to admit... - by awkaplan - 02-Aug-2019, 10:48
RE: Embarassed to admit... - by Snoopy8 - 31-Jul-2019, 23:53
RE: Embarassed to admit... - by awkaplan - 02-Aug-2019, 10:46
RE: Embarassed to admit... - by bdg - 21-Oct-2019, 15:47
RE: Embarassed to admit... - by Snoopy8 - 21-Oct-2019, 22:45
RE: Embarassed to admit... - by Snoopy8 - 02-Aug-2019, 13:35
RE: Embarassed to admit... - by awkaplan - 04-Aug-2019, 07:45